Thursday, June 10, 2010

New panels arriving soon!

Great news! I received an email from Iain McKenzie yesterday confirming that my wheel arch (door shut) sections are done, and that the rear wings are finished except for the wired edge. Iain hopes to finish the wings this week. After that ... the big trip half way around the globe! Sort of re-enacting the original trip in a box full of parts and panels 52-odd years ago!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Clutch slave cylinder again

I had a bit of spare time today between other chores (truth is whenever SWMBO came looking for me I had snuck back into the shed!) so I decided to strip down the clutch slave cylinder. The piston inside refused to budge, little wonder the clutch never worked. There was much prodding, blowing with compressed air and tapping the unit on a piece of timber before the piston finally moved. After the unit was finally stripped and cleaned, I found that the bore was corroded part way down, about where the seal would slide. A bit of gentle work with some 80 grit wet-and-dry paper got rid of the corrosion and all is now free and ready for reassembly.

Alas, I also found that the rubber hose from the master cylinder pipe to the slave cylinder was quite perished, so I have decided to replace this before I put it all back together. So another parts order tonight from MG Owners Club Spares! I would probably save a fortune in postage if I waited and compiled a list of parts and got them all shipped together!

With re-kitted master and slave cylinders and the new rubber hose I really must consider using the DOT 5 silicone brake fluid in the clutch system. Apparently this fluid is much better for the seals and rubber hoses, and helps to counter the effects of corrosion in the system. It cannot be used with the DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids though, so can only be used where the system has been completely stripped, cleaned and flushed, and new seals and rubber hoses installed.

Edit (the next day): After reading a bit more on DOT 5 brake fluid, I don't think that I'll gain much advantage by using it, so I will stick with DOT 4. No chance then of possible mistaken cross-contamination.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Brake master cylinder

I was unsure of the correct size of the Lockheed brake master cylinder for the JB Van, so I dropped into Darwin's Winnellie Brake Centre today on the off chance that they had a kit listed somewhere. Sure did! Old mate picked up the Lockheed stock catalogue, and flicked through a few pages to "Morris - JB".

The book showed that the master cylinder bore was 7/8", the same as the pre-1962 Morris Minor. In fact, a cross-check showed that the seals were identical, having the same individual stock numbers. The only difference was in the external rubber boot, the MM kit having a plain boot, and the JB kit having a "concertina" type boot. Tongue in cheek I asked him if he had a seal kit on the shelf, at which he smiled and produced a JB one, and said that he always carried one kit. The price was AU$24 which I thought was most reasonable. So I got my master cylinder seal kit, and he is going to get another in for me for the clutch. The only difference between the brake kit and the clutch kit is that the one-way valve is not used.

So, coming up shortly is a master cylinder re-kit for both brake and clutch, and for the clutch slave cylinder.