Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New water pump fitted


I decided to have a look at Bugly's fuel pump, as it had stopped 'clacking' a while back. I also had a new water pump to fit to the engine, so out with the front panels and radiator. I was very impressed with the clarity of the radiator coolant and the state of the water galleries in the engine block - it appears that the Penrite Coolant Conditioner is really doing its job well!

Once the old pump was removed, the visible staining of the water leaking past the bearing was obvious. the area was wire-brushed and repainted with Wattyl Epoxy Gloss Enamel, as was the water pump. The new pump was fitted, and all looks good!


The SU fuel pump was removed, and the contact points were found to be quite severely pitted - little wonder it has stopped pumping! The contact points were dressed up, and refitted with the adjustment checked before the pump was refitted to Bugly. Now when the key is turned, that wonderful 'SU' sound can be clearly and strongly heard once again. The pump has a broken cover, which I will need to replace. It is stepped, and not flat like the AUA-25 pump should be, but I think that the later AUA-25 pumps had a capacitor fitted across the points, as this pump has. I don't think it is a high pressure pump, as the HP pumps had a bulge in the cap for the capacitor.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Clutch and brakes again

While I was waiting for the clutch hose to arrive (the one between the master cylinder and slave cylinder) I removed both the clutch and brake pedal assemblies. They had quite a lot of play about the pivot shafts, and I wanted to see what I needed to do to remove some of the slop in the pedal pivot.

I dropped both units off to Justin of JNL Crankshaft Services in Palmerston, who was only too happy to make up a bush for the pivot shaft if necessary. In the end it was a simple repair, as once stripped down it was found to be already bushed. The bush was a standard size and able to be simply replaced. So no more slop!

This afternoon I finally refitted the pedal assemblies, which allowed me to also continue with the clutch and brake master cylinder installation. After filling with hydraulic fluid I pumped the pedals a few times to push out some of the air, then bled the clutch. It appears to work fine (remember, I had replaced the clutch while the gearbox was off and the ring gear replaced, but had never tried it as at the same time I had also removed the clutch master and slave cylinders).

I'll let the brake hydraulics sit a day or two before I bleed them.

JNL Crankshafts did the reconditioning work to Bugly's head a while back, and they look forward to helping with anything that may be required in Bugly's restoration. Justin says that to work on an older vehicle offers them something completely different from their normal work-day activities. It's good to know there is that sort of support out there!